Problem Based Learning Certification
Problem Based Learning (PBL) is a state-of-the-art educational approach originally used by medical school. PBL is emerging as the most dynamic and engaging form of learning for officers of all ranks. This intensive, one-of-a-kind, 10-day course is described as one of the most challenging courses in policing today. PBL is student based and uses real life problems to help students learn how to solve problems and think in creative ways. Successful candidates will be certified PLB instructors joining an elite group of police educators centered at the Police Society for Problem Based Learning.
May 8-19, 2017
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Canadian Military Police Academy
To register, please email, fax or mail the registration form with payment method.
For more information:
Toll Free: 800.862.6307 ext 6072
1430 Victoria Avenue East
Brandon, MB, Canada R7A 2A9
The sessions will consist of full days with group assignments and required evening work. There is also an online pre-course assignment and a field exercise that must be completed prior to the start of the course.
On successful completion of this course, candidates will receive certification as problem based learning instructors.
You Will Learn
- How to use PBL to help students self-discover course materials and take ownership of their own learning.
- How to use the tools of Police PBL: the ill-structured problem, the cohort learning group, tutoring and mentoring, emotional intelligence, and the evaluation rubric.
How to encourage students to think creatively and think on their feet in a competent and confident manner.
- How to coach students to resolve neighbourhood problems in collaboration with the community.
- How to help police recruits become confident, safe and ethical officers.
Who Should Attend
- Academy instructors and managers
- Field training officers and patrol supervisors
- Educators in criminal justices and policing
Should a course candidate need to withdraw from this course, they will be granted a refund of tuition based on the following timeline:
- Six weeks or more of notice – full tuition refund
- More than two weeks, less than six weeks – one-half of the full tuition
- Less than two weeks notice – no refund of the tuition